Choosing Just Right Books
Please remember that the new Common Core Standards require a shift in the level of text complexity. Your child should be reading grade level texts. I know they love Wimpy Kids books, but that should NOT be a part of their 20 minutes of independent reading. They may certainly read them for their own enjoyment above and beyond the 20 minutes I require each night. They should be reading a variety of genres on a variety of topics!
Fourth Grade Lexile Reading Levels are: 740 - 940
Click here: Scholastic Book Wizard (Be sure to check off the type of reading level you want. You should be checking Guided Reading or Lexile Level.
The Goldilocks Test
Too Easy Books
• I have read the book many times before.
• I understand and can retell the story without much effort.
• I know and understand almost every word.
• I can read the book smoothly and fluently without much practice.
Too Hard Books
• There are five or more words on a page that I do not recognize.
• I am confused about what is happening in the story.
• When I read the words I sound choppy.
• I need help when reading this book.
Just Right Books
• The book is new to me and the topic is interesting to me.
• I understand what is happening in most of the story.
• I can retell what I have read.
• I recognize most of the words on the page, but sometimes I get stuck on a word.
• I can read the book by myself but may need help if I hit a tough spot.